Team America Rocketry Challenge
The Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) is a national rocket contest for high school and middle school age students in the United States. Sponsored by the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) and the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), the Team America Rocketry Challenge is is open to teams from schools, scout groups, 4-H, Civil Air Patrol, and more (including homeschoolers).
Originally planned as a one-time event (to coincide with the 100 year anniversary of flight), the event has been such a success that it is now in its second decade! The Team America Rocketry Challenge is the only aerospace-specific national STEM competition. Hundreds of schools and over 60,000 students have participated in the past events!
This is a truly great event, and we would like to encourage you to participate. You can sign up for news & updates on the rocketcontest.org website.
If you are a student or an educator, register a team (or teams) from your school or eligible group. If you are a senior NAR member, be sure to sign up to serve as a mentor for the program (and if you aren't a member, join now!).
Like previous years, the upcoming event is a combination of Altitude and Precision Duration. Here are a few highlights of the the 2018 event rules:
- Rockets must contain and completely enclose two raw hen's eggs and must return them from the flight without any cracks or other external damage.
- The rocket must use body tubes of two different diameters for their exterior structure. The smaller diameter must be used for the upper end and be big enough to hold the eggs, padding and the altimeter and cannot be more than 57mm/2.25" in diameter (T-70H size). The larger tube must be the lower section that contains the engine(s) and be at least 64mm/2.52" in diameter (T-80H size).
- Rockets cannot exceed 650 grams at liftoff and overall length must be at least 650mm/25.6".
- The flight duration goal is a range of 41 to 43 seconds and the altitude goal is 800'.
- The rocket must return safely with all pieces connected together and using one or more parachutes for recovery.
- Rockets must be single stage only and powered by commercially-made model rocket engines of “F” or lower power class.
- Engine(s) must be retained in the rocket by a positive mechanical means (such as hooks, screw-on retainers, etc.).
- At the finals, there will be no launch rods permitted, only rails.
You can read the complete rules by clicking here. Registration is open now and closes on December 8, 2017!
For more details on the event, go to the TARC web site!
We carry lots of components, parachutes, engines and other supplies that a TARC team may need to build and fly their models! With the rules this year specifying the two different size tubes, our T-70H and T-80H tubes will be very popular as will transition sections for them. We will have plenty of those along with corresponding nose cones, rail guides and buttons, centering rings, couplers, etc. that you will need to build your TARC birds for this new wrinkle in the competition!
Registered TARC Teams get a 10% discount on merchandise!*
Simply provide us with your TARC team number (if ordering online just note it in the "Special Requests" section as you checkout) and we'll take care of the discount! You cannot combine this discount with any other discount code or offer. *Discount applies to all items except the TARC special items listed below and also does not apply to any Jolly Logic brand products.
We were asked to design a kit that would give teams new, or relatively new, to rocketry a good introduction to building a model rocket. The Sky-Ferry is a great kit to learn basic rocketry modeling. It features balsa fins and nose cone, payload section (big enough your altimeter), quick change engine hook and bright parachute recovery. Designed to fly primarily on 24 mm engines.
Perfect for school or scout groups - bulk packaging available. For the discounted quantities of 6 or more the kits are provided in bulk form with a single set of instructions (which may be photocopied if desired for each modeler).
For TARC teams this kit is only $16.95 (regularly $18.95), and for any bulk pack orders of 6 or more it's only $12.95 per kit!
If you need basic launch equipment as well to fly this model, we're also offering a discounted price on a launch pad with 1/8" launch rod and electronic launch system combo. Regularly $26.99, TARC teams can order these for $24.99.
To get these special prices, note your TARC team number and TARC SPECIAL ITEMS in the "Special Requests" section as you checkout and we'll adjust the pricing after you complete your order. Shipping and handling charges are in addition to the special prices. No additional discounts, coupons, etc. apply to these special prices. You must be a registered TARC team to get these special prices!
- 04/07/2018 - New Estes Helicopter Kit in stock!
- The new comp-style Mini "A" Heli as well as the "Space Crater" kits are now in stock! Details...
- 04/04/2018 - April Specials Updated
- Specials for April have been updated and are now online... Details...
- 03/30/2018 - Chute Release Protectors now in stock
- Fire-resistant sleeves for Jolly Logic Chute Release are now available. Details...
- 03/03/2018 - Aerotech F67 Engines now in stock!
- F67-4W and F67-6W are in stock and ready to ship! Details...
- View all news items
Just wanted to thank you guys at ASP for your great service! I placed a last minute order for some First Fire ignitors and they shipped right away, and with some extra goodies in the package like epoxy mixing cups and brushes! I got the ignitors in time for my launch and it was awesome! Thanks again guys, I appreciate your speedy service! - Joe B.View all testimonials